Thoughts About the Lore of "The Flock"

Everything regarding The Flock that doesn't belong in the other forums.

Thoughts About the Lore of "The Flock"

Postby Paradoxolyth » 24 Aug 2015, 19:29

Okay i made a Few Thought about the Game's lore when i was on the Toilett, no kidding, its the best place for good thoughts.

Anyway first off, lets start with a few questions, Remember this is all my assumption and it doesnt has to be right or anything.

What are the Flocks?
Where did the Humans go?
What happend to the Nature of Earth?
What Role do the Carriers play in the World?

Now before i start, im already sorry for any kind of Grammar and Spelling issues, im not used to wright this much in english.

About The Flocks:

I think in the Year of the beginning of the "Awakening Trailer" is the Year in wich a Disease was created by humans on earth. Created by accident, in the tests of nations trying to change the Humans Physiology, to create Advanced Humans to fight their wars. Yet the Medicine wich became the Disease Changed the Humans to a point of no return and with unexpected results, the Flocks Were born. Yet a bit diffrent tinyer, with a bit more skin and flesh. the Humanity was afraid of them, but yet interrested in the new species, so they tryed to look if the result of the Experiment was useable for war.

on the first look the Flocks looked like Beeings with basic thoughts but nothing advanced compared to the (naive) humankind. But they were intelligent they had all the memories of their lifes left inside their rotting brain and body. Inable to speak or to wright or communicate with their "dieng" body most got depressed and tried to commit suicide, and they Suceeded. What they didnt knew, upon death the Flocks Spread out their Bones, Their Original new skin into the air like dust, those humans who come close to this dust by skin contact or by breathing it in. Turn into Flocks themself.

Its easy to see, the Disease spread around the world in no time, still a few years but not too much. The Flocks in their Panic and despair searched for something to stay alive. they may have lost all their flesh and organs but they were alive. but not for long. right after the breakout of the disease the Flocks realised a few things. they were able to communicate with their minds with each other, just basic thoughts but it was enough to let them know, that the sunlight and any other kind of light is deadly but can be survived by not moving while beeing hit by the source of light.
Also they realised theres but one thing in the world they can harvest in order to survive their currennt state, aside from living in the dark.
They had to eat, but not humans. in order to Enhance their Strenght, they had to eat the Plants the Fauna and Flora. it was the only way to survive.

as the disease spread and the humans had to retreat from the Diseased areas due to the highly chance of getting infected but also because of nothing but stones left behind and a few Dead trees. the Flocks Began to change, they forgot who they once were, and they were only going on by one instinct: Survival, and to be Strong enough for this world.

Now about the Humans in the world of the flock, and where they went:

After the Breakout the humans had to come up with ideas. ofcourse first they tried to fight the Flocks, shooting them did nothing but a few holes in their bones wich they healed up by eating the Plants of the surrounding area.

they quickly found out that light is the only way to kill them. Yet it took the humans quite a while to accept how useless it was to kill them. each time they killed a flock. the Air got filled up with the Flockdust flying around and affecting the soilders who just killed one. it was a bad mistake and the humans once again had to retreat to a saver area.

there was not much save place left in the world. the nations where going down and the only Escape left was quite obvious: Space, the Humans had to leave the earth behind. searching for a new world. and only a few Humans actually managed to leave the world in the direction of a earthlike planet they found. those where the last days of actuall humans on earth. The flocks where gaining in numbers, the plants the trees and the animals with them slowly dissapeard. up until the time only the Flocks, Some rocks and ruins remained.

Hundred if years past, a thousand years in total and the Beeings once know as Humans, Yet changed: more Intelligent and more united then ever on earth, Came back to their original homeplanet, to regain it. and to live on their home on the world of their forefathers.

they made up a plan, Scouted the Planet with Robots and probes. Only to find out that many flocks have died and only a few evolved into a state of Beeing alive without the needs of eating or drinking, only driven by the instinct to survive.
many Flocks where dead, their Bones, or you might say Corpses, Where left in the world and it was impossible to say wich one is yet alive and wich is not.

The plan was to Create a Weapon as a Cure. a Light source wich is capable of killing the flocks, and the machine wich creates the light Changes The Dna of the Flocks into the Advanced humans ( you could call the Neo Sapiens, or short Neos). Once they shot down Capsules containig the Machiene to Change the flocks into Neos, the Hunt we all know was open. The light Emitted from the machine neutralized the Disease in the air. Thats the Reason the Flocks Try to archieve the light. it Gives the Chance of survival, and the chance to become stronger the Deepest instinct left over in their minds. once a Flock Turns into a Neos, it gets a few memories from his former life back and suddenly comes into the situation of pure survival.

About the Neos Physiology: Tiny with no visible eyes, they are hidden behind a Skin wich is used by them to prevent them getting hurt by Cold or heat, by diseases or Bright light. The Tiny Persons with no familiar faces reminded the Flocks of Plants and Trees, the memories leftover in their mind made them hunt the Neos with the light: The carriers in order to survive just to end up in the same situation as the former carrier, Because once a Carrier dies. the Machiene Attaches itself to the Next creature in range.

once all flocks are dead and only 1 Carrier remains the Neos are going to Restore the planets lifeforms to once again life on their planet.

Thats my thought about the world. might have here and there a few bad spots of logic. but it is what i would think of this world.
~The Seeker of Pain~
Paradoxolyth

Re: Thoughts About the Lore of "The Flock"

Postby Silvarren » 25 Aug 2015, 18:47

Hiiiii~ My first post, so I hope this isn't inappropriate, but I've compiled a bit of a list of interesting things to note about the lore of The Flock.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/290490/di ... 367778443/

I don't have many solid theories, but there's a lot of information there behind possible lore.

I noted that during the time-lapse trailer, the earth seemed to dim a bit during 2400 AD or so, so that may be when the trouble started...

Simply put, I think that the contrasting environments of The Flock imply that humanity is only recently (say, by 200 or so years) extinct. I'm judging this based on the state of the slums, mostly, but also the human structures in the Caverns.

Something that I wonder about is the Temple. The Slums were not constructed by the Flock. Given their abilities, it doesn't make sense. However, they are able to activate the doors of the level, though that may just be happenstance and the pressure plate doesn't care what's on it.

The Caverns area has metal / human structures, and even glass. The cavern opens into an abyss... And some of the "spawn animations" for the Flock show them climbing up out of the abyss. I think it's possible that humans discovered the Flock by accident, or perhaps they're an offshoot of humanity that had similar parallel evolutionary traits.

So here's the thing: The Flock doesn't build. Their claws don't appear meant for it, their necks are kind of awkward for heavy labor, and the structure of the Temple shows far too much architectural intelligence, unless they are able to communicate careful construction information with their shrieks, or they have a hive mind. The one (sort of) exception to this thought is the strange structure in the middle of the Temple, with the figures of the Flock reaching out from that narrow hallway. It might be plausible that the Flock statues there are simply old Flock who just stopped moving...

Also, regarding the temple: Almost all of the Flock statues are facing one of those platforms that a light object spawns from. Some of the Flock statues appear to be kneeling towards it. The figures on the narrow hallway appear to be reaching for the platform, even. Some are even angled so as to be looking up where the light would appear. So, whoever built the temple either wanted to depict the Flock's fascination with the light, or the Flock statues are simply Flock that were fascinated with the light and just stopped moving. And here's another thing. The Flock statues are all facing the platforms. That implies that whoever built the temple was already somehow aware of where the platforms are, OR placed the platforms there themselves. And, assuming the rounds we play are not all different versions of the same scenario (i.e., one round is not actually a "different" place in time), then why don't the Flock just hang around those platforms all the time, if they want the light so bad?

In the Slums, you can also see a sign with strange writing. It almost reminds me of Greek, or some strange bastardization of Chinese... This would make sense, as the Slums have a bit of an Asian aesthetic to them. There's also the chanting that occurs at the end, along with what almost sounds like a meditation bell. Any who, check out that Steam thread. Probably better to comment here rather than risk more trolling. xD

-S

EDIT: Something I forgot to mention... I have a difficult time figuring the Carrier. It's like the Flock want to be the Carrier, yet the Carrier kills the Flock... And while the Carrier is alive, they are constantly increasing their score, even if they don't get any objectives. It's almost like they're charging the light they carry around to some kind of critical mass, which then causes a light to envelope everything. Not having the light on also takes away from your score, and if the light is off with a score of 0, the Carrier dies. Also! The writing on the Artifact is in no way human. I don't think it's an alien, because why would the Flock want to be an alien? And it can't be that they're just trying to kill the Carrier. It could be an evolved kind of Flock, but then... why be the Carrier, who they all know is hunted. Of course, that implies that the Flock has intelligence beyond hunting. It's possible that the Flock are simply drawn towards the light, and once they touch it, they somehow become changed and sentient, hence the running around doing "something" to the light objectives.

Speaking of, those light objectives remind me somewhat of an... unlocking mechanism? Or some kind of seal being removed? I'm not sure.
Silvarren

Postby Paradoxolyth » 27 Aug 2015, 07:00

Silvarren wrote:So here's the thing: The Flock doesn't build. Their claws don't appear meant for it, their necks are kind of awkward for heavy labor, and the structure of the Temple shows far too much architectural intelligence, unless they are able to communicate careful construction information with their shrieks, or they have a hive mind. The one (sort of) exception to this thought is the strange structure in the middle of the Temple, with the figures of the Flock reaching out from that narrow hallway. It might be plausible that the Flock statues there are simply old Flock who just stopped moving...

Also, regarding the temple: Almost all of the Flock statues are facing one of those platforms that a light object spawns from. Some of the Flock statues appear to be kneeling towards it. The figures on the narrow hallway appear to be reaching for the platform, even. Some are even angled so as to be looking up where the light would appear. So, whoever built the temple either wanted to depict the Flock's fascination with the light, or the Flock statues are simply Flock that were fascinated with the light and just stopped moving. And here's another thing. The Flock statues are all facing the platforms. That implies that whoever built the temple was already somehow aware of where the platforms are, OR placed the platforms there themselves. And, assuming the rounds we play are not all different versions of the same scenario (i.e., one round is not actually a "different" place in time), then why don't the Flock just hang around those platforms all the time, if they want the light so bad?

I like your idea aswell and Regarding the temple, both our Theories can be put together. maybe not at you think. I like the idea with the "other Evolution trait" 'n stuff, jet i would like to keep on going with my own idea, from the cure/disease. Doesnt matter.

Imagine if the Humans Builded the Temple with some sort of light emitting altars to Hail the Flocks. as the next Evolutional Step in humankinds history ( like a reference to Dead Space maybe?) and thats the reason for these things. it could also explain the strange symbols in the slums and the platforms, and the way they work. why make platforms if humans are capable of creating Leavers or buttons or classic doors.

About the caves i totally get your idea there, i actually kinda forgot to think about the maps in addition to my theorie, yet it can have an easy explanation. they (the flocks) can somehow.. Sense upcoming light. so they move from a distance to the places were artifacts are appearing. and since its a cave with open ceilling yet to deep to jump down, they have to come diffrently inside.

Humans could just have used the Hole in ceilling to enter with Helicopters/ similar stuff.

But in Total. I could definitly agree with your idea aswell. yours like mine sound plausible, at least to me. now we need some more people to post stuff. Come on guys keep it up. nothing to lose.
~The Seeker of Pain~
Paradoxolyth

Postby Silvarren » 27 Aug 2015, 13:43

Interesting. What you say is also quite possible. I actually hadn't noticed the hole in the ceiling in the caves. And yes, I was thinking that if humans built the temples, it would be in some sort of worship / idolization as in Dead Space... Of course, it could also be humans trying to lure the Flock there. Something I find a little strange about it is that the Temple is obviously a place where the Flock congregate (or at least, for that map), and yet there's a fairly open space, which means that it could be possible to be exposed to the sun, which may or may not be harmful to the Flock.
Silvarren

Postby Paradoxolyth » 28 Aug 2015, 11:13

Silvarren wrote:Something I find a little strange about it is that the Temple is obviously a place where the Flock congregate (or at least, for that map), and yet there's a fairly open space, which means that it could be possible to be exposed to the sun, which may or may not be harmful to the Flock.

I get your point with the Open space of that map, of course the sun would shine bright at the Temple. The angle of the light wouldnt even matter. Yet look at the timeline the earth got Grey in no time, wich could be the result of many problems and i have right now two in mind. First of the problem of my theorie that if a flock dies he vanishes into a cloud of dust, wich can affect other humans, i would say this Dust/smoke what ever you call it has the same ability as the flocks bodys.
as the humanity tryed to slaughter of the flocks by any means, and as fast as possible (bombs, Airstrikes maybe even nuclear weapons) its likely that a ton of the FlockDus went into the athmosphere, affecting the light and increasing the process of the world to turn into a dead rock, or at least the lands, since we know nothing about the ocean's in the flock.

My other idea and point is Yellowstone.
A Vulcano wich is likely to explode anyday, and beeing able to turn the whole athmosphere of earth into a cloud of Dust and stone, givin an iceage of a minimum of 19 years( as far as i know) wich could've lead to a great age for the flocks, since theres was no more light to fear at day. it would be the likely end to humanity.
~The Seeker of Pain~
Paradoxolyth

Postby Silvarren » 28 Aug 2015, 13:55

Paradoxolyth wrote:
Silvarren wrote:Something I find a little strange about it is that the Temple is obviously a place where the Flock congregate (or at least, for that map), and yet there's a fairly open space, which means that it could be possible to be exposed to the sun, which may or may not be harmful to the Flock.

I get your point with the Open space of that map, of course the sun would shine bright at the Temple. The angle of the light wouldnt even matter. Yet look at the timeline the earth got Grey in no time, wich could be the result of many problems and i have right now two in mind. First of the problem of my theorie that if a flock dies he vanishes into a cloud of dust, wich can affect other humans, i would say this Dust/smoke what ever you call it has the same ability as the flocks bodys.
as the humanity tryed to slaughter of the flocks by any means, and as fast as possible (bombs, Airstrikes maybe even nuclear weapons) its likely that a ton of the FlockDus went into the athmosphere, affecting the light and increasing the process of the world to turn into a dead rock, or at least the lands, since we know nothing about the ocean's in the flock.

My other idea and point is Yellowstone.
A Vulcano wich is likely to explode anyday, and beeing able to turn the whole athmosphere of earth into a cloud of Dust and stone, givin an iceage of a minimum of 19 years( as far as i know) wich could've lead to a great age for the flocks, since theres was no more light to fear at day. it would be the likely end to humanity.

Ah yeah, clever. Yeah, that "something" that happened around the year 2,400 or so could be anything, even a solar flare that knocked out power / bombarded us with radiation. It hadn't actually occurred to me yet that it could have simply been a natural disaster. xD
Silvarren

Postby Paradoxolyth » 28 Aug 2015, 22:23

Ah yeah, clever. Yeah, that "something" that happened around the year 2,400 or so could be anything, even a solar flare that knocked out power / bombarded us with radiation. It hadn't actually occurred to me yet that it could have simply been a natural disaster. xD

Yup,not everything has to be happen because of humanity.

Regarding your theorie about the Caves, Imagine a massive Earthquake causing the Caves to "open up" and releasing the flocks. That would lead to another theorie i have in mind.

or another one would be a Calamity, a Meteor or Asteroid, Crashing into earth Burrowing itself deep into the planet containing the first flocks. Maybe as the life form in basic or maybe as the result of an attack from aliens, and those are just their soldiers, Or they are the aliens.

You could even go as far to get some religion into the game ( even tho im an atheist i still could imagine it), Like Fallen Angels, Uprising demons and dead from hell, or maybe Humans in heaven fallen from god because he began to hate his creation? not my favorite theorie in fact.

Also the Flocks Could Be a Dream. Yep, a Dream, and you as the player are just the watcher, yet youre playing of course but from the lore sight its just humanity having the first issues of acting in one mind after some sort of evolution.

Then again it could be an ancient Race Who lived on earth before humans who got buried underground for nearly eternity millions of years ago when the last gigantic Calamity hit earth. or they're ancient Lifeforms out of the deep sea who lost their flesh due to the diffrence of air pressure.

There are way to many Possibilitys.

About the Words in the Slumbs.. let me add you on steam for a game so we can actually search for them in a private match. how does that sound? i already reached Hidden areas in the Cave and i could show you them ;)
~The Seeker of Pain~
Paradoxolyth

Postby Local_Neko » 31 Oct 2015, 07:58

Felt like jumping into this topic and throwing out a few things I've noticed from the game:

The Device and the Carrier: When the device is spawned into the world, there are light particles that float towards it, as well as those particles making an hourglass shape, flowing into it. It has two strap like handles that protrude out, or so we're lead to believe from viewing the object at a distance. Notice that when viewing the Carrier from outside his person, he is holding it in both hands, directly in front of him. Yet it seems like his arms are inside the device. Also, if as the Carrier you turn off the Device for too long, or it turns off on its own from you standing still, your points start to go away. Slowly at first, then rapidly. Once you have 0 points, you die. Now let's go one step further: Once you reach the point goal and survive an extra 30 seconds of life, the screen fades to white.

I believe that the Light from the Device isn't just the weakness of the Flock, it is also what they desire. When they conjoin themselves with the light, they gain flesh, life. If they stop moving, it's not so much the device stops working, it's that their inborn nature as the Flock to turn to stone begins to sever the connection the Carrier has with the device, thus slowly causing the Carrier to lose his life.

Now to comment on the point system, I do believe that is raw mechanic, since each time someone dies a life is used up, you are technically a new member of the Flock each and every time, and as such you should start with 0 points until you become the Carrier. But now let's touch basis on the point I just made, these are fresh members of the Flock killing each other for the "Life" bestowed upon them from the Device.

So what do I believe the white screen means at the end? Ascension: Transcendence from the harsh world that they are trapped in. Think about it, nothing in the maps scream Happy Fun Times, they scream of decay, age, death (and not of the Ascension kind.) Do I believe this is some kind of Heaven/Hell reference? Potentially. Matthew 7:13 references the Narrow gate to Heaven (what we an call Ascension), where only few will go, and the Wide gate to Hell (death), where many will go.

Again, all theories, but I figured I'd throw these in.
The Light of Life
Local_Neko

Return to General Discussion